Sunday, March 20, 2011

Styrofoam Wall Art

First you need a little bit of this

It's a 1x3 piece of styrofoam from the craft store

Then find some scrapbooking paper that you can't live without..
Who doesn't want to have a good excuse to peruse this isle?  There are some beautiful papers out there but I'm not a scrapbooker so I have to find another way to put it to use.
Then you need a lot of this..
You will paint a super thick coat of the modpodge on the styrofoam and then lay your paper (you have hopefully already decided on a pattern for the paper) out it and ever so gingerly smooth it out.  You may be able to modpodge the top of the paper too but I thought it looked good enough and didn't want to take a chance of messing it up.
Then you apply a thick coat of whatever color paint looks best to the edges to finish it off.  It soaks it up of course but just keep dabbing it on..I used a sponge brush.

And then you have this!!!
One unexpected bonus...you can literally just put a nail in the wall and then push the styrofoam onto the nail(you want to make sure the nail is shallow enough that it won't poke through)!!! Now that's an easy peasy piece of thrifty art!
There could be so many variations of this..I also cut a piece into 3 so I could have 3 separate pieces to hang instead of the long vertical hanging route that I went for with this piece.  
So what do you do with styrofoam?  If you try this please share:)  It is so fun to see what all you crafty girls come up with!
Linking to:

23 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I am sooo gonna try this out! Thanks for the nifty Ideas!
Love ya!
D'Nett

Carri K said... Best Blogger Tips

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing...I may just have to give this a try.

Katie @ minivan diva said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, I am so impressed. Love it.

Sara Hejl said... Best Blogger Tips

This is great! I love these little ideas!

kara@elements-interiors.net said... Best Blogger Tips

So creative! Styrafoam...BRILLIANT! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

xoxokara

Everyday Art said... Best Blogger Tips

Fabulous. Simply fabulous. :) So many possibilitites with this.

madison avenue said... Best Blogger Tips

those are so cute! and a great alternative to canvas! its like half the price!!! good thinking1 haha. thanks for linking it up!

Camilla said... Best Blogger Tips

GREAT idea!! So going to attempt this- featured these today for Whimsical Wednesday!
http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

DIYbyDesign said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it at my Swing into Spring party.

Tsa said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh Wow -- I'm going out today to get the supplies -- been wanting to do a wall art for my daughters room!!!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

OK, I HATE styrofoam...but this might be a project I have to try! I love the end result :)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

kara@elements-interiors.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for linking this up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!


Hope to see you next Wednesday:)

xoxokara

Katrina said... Best Blogger Tips

such a good idea! I love it

Tanya said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks great. We have a bunch of styrofoam from a grill hubs got the other day. Think I will snag some of it.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Cool idea!

Sometimes styrofoam can be a challenge with Mod Podge, but it's so worth it!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I featured this on my blog today...come grab a "featured" button! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips

Great idea, my hubby just brought some styrofoam sheets home last weekend and only used one adding padding to a bench. I know what I will be doing with the rest of it now, thanks!

Carmella said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this project! I'll be trying it soon with a link back to you! Thanks for sharing!

Miss Kindergarten said... Best Blogger Tips

very nice! Do you live by a Joann's Fabrics?! They're having a sale on scrapbook paper right now, 5 for a dollar!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, another great job. Nice way to get cheap art.

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this!

Style Chic 360 said... Best Blogger Tips

this is so neat and creative!

Luis said... Best Blogger Tips

Great idea for a home improvement project. Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for ways to improve my home with Styrofoam.